Australian Pork Limited (ABN 83 092 783 278)
Privacy & Commercial Notice
A. Privacy Statement
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), (“Privacy Act”) defines personal information as ‘information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion’ (“Personal Information”). The Privacy Act imposes obligations on Australian Pork Limited (APL) relating to the collection, storage, access, use and disclosure of Personal Information.
By providing your Personal Information to APL you agree to our use and disclosure of your Personal Information in accordance with this Notice as varied from time to time, and as otherwise permitted under the Privacy Act.
By providing Personal Information to APL about any other person, you agree that:
- you have made that person aware of the matters of which they are entitled to be made aware under the Privacy Act or the Privacy Principles contemplated by the Privacy Act;
- APL may contact that person without notifying you; and
- APL may disclose to that person your identity, and the fact that you have disclosed personal information about that person to APL.
8.1.1 Means of collecting Personal Information
- APL collects information directly from you, including by collecting information directly from you during your transactions with us.
- APL collects information when you contact us by telephone, by email, through the “contact us” electronic form on our websites, at APL events, complete APL application forms, or enter into licensing, contracting or other arrangements with APL, such as for PigPass and PigPass NVDs, APIQP®, MI Pork, and other APL programs.
- We may obtain information from other sources, such as people or organisations involved in the pork industry and government agencies, but only where it is unreasonable or impracticable to obtain the information from the individual concerned.
8.1.2 Types of Information
The information APL collects includes information about:
- the contact details and other information (specific to pork cooking and purchasing behaviours) of pork consumers, preparers and people likely to purchase pork in the future;
- butchers, TAFEs, suppliers of butchers, and other people related to the meat butchering industry;
- chefs, waiters, suppliers and other people related to the foodservice sector;
- journalists, media personalities and food industry personalities;
- the legal owners of pigs;
- persons responsible for husbandry of pigs;
- persons in charge of the pigs while they are in transport;
- the receivers of a consignment of pigs;
- individuals who make a declaration about pigs, such as by signing a PigPass NVD or an APIQP® certification;
- quality assurance practices, NVD transactions, licenses or certification of any of the above mentioned individuals,
- the contact details of any the above mentioned individuals;
- levies paid and other transactions made by any of the above mentioned individuals;
- areas of interest to receive additional information (for example staff training, OH&S, industrial relations , food safety) of any of the above mentioned individuals; and
- businesses involved or otherwise connected with the pig industry including commercial information.
8.1.3 Purpose of collection
APL collects information for the purposes of:
- providing individuals and organisations with services and information about APL programs and activities;
- developing and delivering APL programs, including programs such as PigPass, APIQP® and MI Pork;
- conducting APL activities relating to quarantine and biosecurity, trade and market access, diseases and chemicals, environment, labour market, food safety and product integrity, animal health and welfare, including where these relate to national and international standards;
- enhancing the traceability of pigs from any point in the processing line back to their farm of origin;
- undertaking research, innovation, marketing, industry development, product development and policy development to further the Australian pork industry; and
- supporting the long term viability and otherwise providing services and support to members of the Australian pork industry.
8.1.4 Consequences of not providing information
- If you do not provide the information referred to above APL may not be able to assist you by providing information, delivering services and/or including you in APL programs and activities.
8.1.5 Use of personal information
APL may use the information it collects:
- for the purposes for which the information was collected as identified in paragraph 8.1.3;
- to contact and disseminate information on the pig industry or pork products to you; and
- for purposes reasonably related to those set out in paragraph 8.1.3.
8.1.6 Disclosure of personal information
APL may disclose personal information to:
- The Australian Quarantine Inspection Service;
- Commonwealth and State departments, and national and international bodies concerned with primary industries, agriculture, disease control, food quality, biosecurity and livestock traceability, animal welfare, environment, food safety and regulatory compliance;
- certain members of the Australian pork industry where necessary (for example, the personal information of a breeder may be disclosed to other persons as part of the supply chain);
- organisations providing services to members of the Australian pork industry for the purposes of enabling such organisations to contact you in relation to products and services which may be of value to you. You may contact us, using the details listed below (under the heading “D – Further information”), if you do not wish to receive marketing offers from third party organisations; and
- APL’s service providers and advisers (on a confidential basis and use of the information will be limited to the purpose of APL’s business only).
Where APL discloses information it will seek the recipient’s agreement to treat that information in accordance with this Notice. If personal information pertaining to a third party is made available to you as a result of your relationship with APL, including personal information that is disclosed between members of the pig supply chain, you agree to:
- use that personal information for the purposes for which it was disclosed;
- protect it at all times against unauthorised disclosure; and
- otherwise treat third party personal information in accordance with this Notice.
8.1.7 Use and disclosure for other purposes
APL may use and disclose information:
- to lessen or prevent a serious threat to public health, public safety, animal heath, animal welfare, environment, biosecurity or food safety; or
- for the prevention, investigation, prosecution of criminal offences or seriously improper conduct; or
- where the disclosure is required or authorised by or under a local or international law.
8.1.8 Storage of personal information:
- APL engages external (IT) service providers who will store data on our behalf; and
- By providing your personal information to APL, you consent to having your personal information transferred to, processed and stored overseas.
8.1.9 Information Security
APL takes all reasonable technical and physical security measures to protect information from loss, unauthorised access, modification, disclosure or other misuse. However, security cannot be guaranteed due to the nature of the internet. APL will take all reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information it holds, if it considers that the information is no longer needed for its business purposes, to ensure that the information is not illegally accessible. If you reasonably believe that there has been unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact APL (see details below).
8.1.10 Access to your personal information
If you wish to access your personal information held by APL, you may contact APL (see details below) and, subject to any exemptions allowed under the Privacy Act, see what it is and if it is up to date.
8.1.11 Accuracy of your information
APL takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the information held by it is accurate, complete and up to date. If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate, please contact APL (see details below) and it will take reasonable steps to correct it, or, subject to the requirements of the Privacy Act, provide you with a notice explaining why it won’t be corrected.
8.1.12 Sensitive Personal Information
APL does not generally collect any sensitive information as that term is used in privacy legislation (information relating to racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religion or trade unions, sexual preferences or activities, criminal record, state of health or medical history). APL will only collect sensitive personal information where required by law or where consent is given. Where any sensitive personal information is held by APL that information will only be used and disclosed by APL for the purposes for which it was provided. If APL asks for sensitive personal information, APL will explain that it is requesting the provision of such information.
B. Commercial Information
Some information collected by APL is of a commercial rather than personal nature. That is, it may include the name of a business or company rather than an individual, and/or refer to the size and/or quality assurance practices of that business or company.
APL publishes commercial financial information aggregated from a number of industry sources, often as industry averages. APL will maintain the confidentiality of any commercial information, subject to the terms of any applicable confidentiality agreement.
C. Variations to this Notice
APL reserves the right to vary this Notice from time to time without notice to you. APL will publish the revised Notice on the APL website.
D. Further Information
For further information on APL’s privacy practices, or if you wish to access your personal information, have a complaint as you believe your privacy has been breached, or wish to update your details, please contact:
Australian Pork Limited (ABN 83 092 783 278)
General Manager – Communication
P: 02 6285 2200 Toll Free: 1800 789 099
F: 02 6285 2288 E: email@example.com